Saturday, January 19, 2008

Forget oil, the new global crisis is food

The financial post has an insightful article on the coming food crisis. I personally welcome the change and hope it will drive consumers to be more responsible in their eating. It boggles my mind that so many people "just have to" live in the suburbs and have a yard, just for the pleasure of spraying it in chemicals and mowing it with a dirty two stroke lawnmower. Last year i bought a dirty two stroke rototiller and used it to tear up the lawn and plant vegetables. I had about a hundred and forty plants, many of them growing bigger than i could have imagined. I had to give food away to my friends and have slow food potluck\cookout\dinner parties just to try and use most of it. I do feel bad for people that don't have yards to grow their own produce, but they should look to community gardening. I'm (hopefully) starting a community gardening class soon, so i'm sure i'll have more to say on this...

No comments: